Like us on Facebook

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Spices II


Caper
The flower buds of the Caper Bush also known as Flinders Rose.

The edible buds as well as the caper berries are pickled and then used as a seasoning.

While there are also Medical uses, we are only concerned with it's role in foods.

The pickled bud/caper is often used as a garnish, sometimes just a few scattered over a salad.

In Italian cooking they are used in Salads as mentioned above, but also cooked in Pasta sauces and various meat dishes. Try the Chicken Piccata the next time you "go Italian" on date night.

You may also see one on the end of a toothpick in a Martini.

Because they are pickled and Salted, the taste of this herb is wonderfully salty and mustardy.

Caraway
This plant resembles the carrot and may be a part of the carrot family.  As well as Asia and Europe, Caraway is also native to North America.

The leaves of this plant resemble the carrot and in the ground they could be mistaken for one until you notice that they also grow quite high; up to 25 inches in some cases. The fruit of this plant are mistakenly called seeds but this is one of those mistakes that become the norm in talking about or in the handling of it.

This plant, including the "Seeds", have a strong Anise (licorice) flavor.

The primary use of the seeds are in the making of Rye Bread, but due to the age and abundance of the plant, it is also used in Casseroles, desserts (In the Muslim community, a Caraway seed pudding is a traditional treat during Ramada), and also in liquor; Akvavit comes to mind; (that spelling is correct but the generally used pronunciation is Aquavit).

Chives
A plant with long hollow, and when in bloom, a full purple flower.

Native to North America as well as Europe, the stems are dried, chopped fine, and used in as a flavoring herb. Mixed with sour cream is my fav.

Other uses are many; including a sprinkling in soups and salads and rubbed onto the sides of fish for baking and with cheese. A wonderful herb.

Cumin
A flowering plant where the seeds are dried and ground very fine, almost powder-like.

It appears that Cumin came to North America from Brazil and later from Mexico.

I mention this spice because I use it exclusively in the making of Chili Con Carne (beans and meat). I add small amounts at a time, tasting as I go and when the taste and smell are just right according to my own palate, It is ready for the bowl; accompanied by Texas Toast or Garlic Bread.

However, cumin is also used in soups and stews that are traditional in Mexico and South America.

Dill & Dill Seed
A member of the Celery Family. The leaves of this herb are aromatic and used to flavor such foods as Salmon and other fish dishes; soups, especially Borscht, and it's primary use in the making of pickles, which is the curing of cucumbers in a bath of brine and flavorings such a Dill which gives the end product we know as the Dill Pickle.

I also use a small handful and rub in onto a beef roast, along with garlic, and pepper. before baking it.

Dad


8 comments:

  1. Ahh, I was wondering what the heck a caper was! I absolutely love them in salads! Thank you for the definition and uses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a Texas Toast recipe you can share? I absolutely love Texas Toast, but I would prefer making my own as opposed to buying the bag of frozen texas toast from the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed this post and thanks for the comment on the Texas Toast. I will put together a special post that is all about preparation of TT and some other delicious bread sides...but not until I complete the spices subject.
      Dad

      Delete
    2. Sounds great! I love and look forward too all of your articles!

      Delete
  3. Great Post...love capers chives and caraway in my life... but don't have a lot of cumin and dill in it. Very interesting to learn more about these!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use a lot of chives but I REALLY love the mild garlicky aroma in my Kitchen from the live plant.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the info, I like caper and dill with my salmon or other fish, brings out different flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and thank you for the comment. I'll be posting the next four tomorrow. Stay tuned.
      Dad

      Delete