Like us on Facebook

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Desserts of Mexico

Definitions

Choux
1) Pastry

Churro
1) Mostly fried dough lightly salted.

Sopapillas
1) Derived from the word Sopaipa, an Andaluan Arabic language from the time Moslems ruled Spain.

Tres Leche
1) Bread dipped in oil.
2) Three kinds of milk
3) Three layer cake with three kinds milk replacing water in the flour.

Churro

When I was just discharged from my service in the U.S. Navy I sampled my first dessert that was native to Mexico, called Churros.

It was delicious and through the years I've eaten most of the more common ones: The churros I had were long, slender, deep fried pastries made with white flour lightly salted, water, cinnamon, deep fried and lightly sprinkled with sugar.

Sopapilla 

Another Mexican dessert that has had a transformation from the original Arabic influence of just bread soaked in olive oil.
The present day sopapilla is a flour based bread that when browned from being fried in oil, removed and sprinkled with powdered sugar then served with honey.

Tres Leche

A 3 layer cake that consists of both sweetened and evaporated canned milk and a small amount of whole milk instead of water; vanilla added, it gives an unique flavor the cake.

After baking I've seen several ways to prepare it for serving: including fresh sliced pieces of fruit; whipped cream; and even nuts sprinkled over a coconut cream frosting. The whipped cream is spread like frosting and fruit slices added to make an artful presentation.

So, while the above three are arguably the most popular, all of them originated in countries other than Mexico.

So then I realized that I havent't really found any that were truly native to Mexico itself and I went on a research quest to see if I could find something and I did.

The one dessert Native to Mexico is from the Aztec's of Central Mexico and it is Chocolate.


The Xocolati (Nahutal lanquage of the Aztec's) was served as the drink we know of as Hot Chocolate. and it was originally reserved for the Aztec Nobility.

Dad.
                     

4 comments:

  1. Chocolate is a great claim to fame! I love churros. They're like wonderful crispy donuts. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found it very interesting about only the elite of Azteca were allowed the chocolate drink. It begs the question: "How did that work out for you".
      Dad

      Delete
  2. Wow what a great post! So interesting to learn about the origins of things... LOL yes...wondering about the evil vibes of Xocolati now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you liked this one; and yes, considering that chocolate is world wide that decision of so long ago kind of got out of hand.
      Dad

      Delete