Like us on Facebook

Thursday, November 10, 2016

More on Soup

Definition:
Soup; from Sop...Bread used to soak up the drippings of meats and/or liquid still left in the bowl or on the plate/platter.

When you hear the word soup, what  immediately comes to mind depends largely on, here in the US, what your roots are; Examples: Campbell's soup. European roots: meat and or Vegetables boiled in water, sometimes thickened with flour.
Asian: Especially Chinese since they are so much a part of the history of America. It could be won-ton or egg drop that comes to mind. The various Ramen dried mix with water added also fastley becoming generally popular.
Mexican: It could be tripe, gazpacho served cold and if your roots are Italian it could be just minestrone.

I've even heard that soup was served up on Trail Drives but unless it had thick hunks of meat and plenty of potatoes and other Vegetables found along the creek beds and made into a thick stew, I don't believe that the trail drives had anything to do with soup.
Imagine if you will, a Cowboy who has just come to supper after 12 hours eating dust and literally punching cows, being handed a bowl of vegetable soup or thickened Consommé (thickened broth), he'd probably shoot the cook.

But in the society we now live in there are many choices and some fantastic soups to be had.
Is there anything more welcome on a cold winter day or cold and blustery spring or fall day?

7 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I can't think of anything better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to heat up my soup!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made bone broth using organic chicken legs and distilled water. Slow cooked in the crock pot overnight. I will add salt and pepper and it's incredibly yummy and great for these cold temperatures. Also, a GREAT way to help with hydration, even during the summer.

      Delete
  3. enjoy, and thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious how to make bone broth. Is that something you are familiar with? From various articles I've read, it sounds really nutritious, and maybe because of that, it helps people lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can usually google stuff, but I just use turkey or chicken legs and use a crock pot overnight. I like at least a 12 hour simmer to release the nutrients from the bones. It's really tasty, and I have it all year round due to the climate I live in is very dry. I actually find myself craving soup even during the heat of the summer!

      Delete
  5. I like your London Grubby soup the best! Yum

    ReplyDelete